It’s nearly the end of the week here so it must be time for something tasty.
Yes, it is still dark and cold outside after work and if you live in Auckland, New Zealand, it is most likely raining. I know you just want to blob in front of the TV, but this easy to make (I seem to say this a lot!), healthy nuttyish slice will be so tasty in your lunch box tomorrow, you really do need to get off the couch and make it now.
That’s my motivating speech or rather my excuse for baking yet another primal treat, maybe a bit lame I know, so tell me if you can think of a better reason!!
Base • Preheat the oven to 150C (300F) Ginger & Macadamia Nut Topping • Soak the dates in the boiling water to soften for at least three hours then drain.
Macadamia Ginger Crunch
1 cup almond meal
3/4 cup finely desiccated coconut
1/4 cup macadamia nuts, roughly chopped to smallish peices
2 tsp ground ginger
50 g butter*, grass feed
3 tbsp raw honey or organic maple syrup
• Line a 12 x 23cm (ish) baking tin with cooking or parchment paper.
• Mix dry ingredients until well blended.
• Melt the butter and honey or maple syrup together gently.
• Pour over dry ingredients and mix well to combine.
• Spoon the mixture into the tin and press down firmly and evenly.
• Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden.
• Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 mins.
• Gently place onto a cake rack (keep it on the paper for ease), and cool completely.
10 medjool dates, pits removed and chopped.
1/2 cup boiling water.
2 tbsp soft butter*, grassfeed.
2 tsp ground ginger.
¼ cup macadamia nuts chopped finely.
• In a food processor blend the dates, soft butter and ginger until smooth.
• Spread evenly over the slice.
• Sprinkle with nuts and slice into pieces.
• Store in an airtight container.
• If you are storing for longer than a day then store in the fridge however, the base will soften but the crunch still comes from the nuts!
• Preheat the oven to 150C (300F)
Ginger & Macadamia Nut Topping
• Soak the dates in the boiling water to soften for at least three hours then drain.