So, who doesn’t love burgers, the ultimate fast food. All that yummy tastiness eaten with your hands – and the first bite where it squishes everywhere, delish! Or if you are a neatnik and don’t go for the ooze, then cut and forking that first bite is just as great.
Just because we are eating healthy whole foods doesn’t mean we have to give them up. We just make them ourselves, and instead of wrapping them in a carb, grain and gluten laden bun, we wrap them in a large lettuce leaf or make our own paleo bun (but that’s for another day).
I totally love them in crispy, iceberg lettuce – give them a try, and I guarantee you’ll be hooked too!
Chop & Slice
Add, then stir
Add & Mix
Shape & Flatten
Fry & Assemble
Now to make them yourself!
450g/16 oz minced (ground) beef – organic, grass fed is best.
1 large shallot, finely sliced
1 clove garlic, crushed
¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
2 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
1 tbsp dried rosemary
1 tsp dried chilli (more or less depending on heat), optional
Freshly ground salt and pepper to taste.
2 tbsps butter/ghee or coconut fat
Iceberg or Romano/Cos lettuce
Mayonnaise – Easy As Homemade Mayo or your own paleo recipe.
• Slice shallot, parsley, oregano add to the meat along with egg, rosemary and crushed garlic.
• Mix to combine.
• Shape handfuls into balls and flatten with a fork. Depending on how big you want them you should get 4 to 6 patties.
• Melt your fat in a fry pan and evenly space your patties.
• Cook on high for around 5 minutes and gently lift one to check it is well cooked before flipping all patties over.
• Cook for another 4 minutes, check for doneness by poking a knife into the middle of one patty. It should be just pink inside.
• Take pan off the heat and leave to rest.
Choose lettuce leaves that will hold your burger and also be large enough for you to fold around your food. Wash and dry lettuce.
If you are planning to eat by hand you can place the lettuce on a folded paper towel (to catch the drips!).
Layer as you like but I like meat, avocado, tomatoes.
Finish off with a blob of mayonnaise and you are good to go.