I’m definitely a fan of summer – a long hot day at the beach is more my style than the dark, dull, cold wet days of an Auckland winter. But one bonus of having to endure winter is that at this time of the year my little Meyer lemon tree comes up trumps. This year is pretty exceptional and the poor wee tree is so loaded with fruit some of its branches are bending and in danger of snapping right off!
What to do with lemons? Preserving and baking come to mind and I’ll leave Preserved Lemons for another post. So baking it is, something tangy with a hint of sweetness. A tasty treat to have with morning coffee or afternoon tea or eaten warm with whipped cream for dessert? So how about this then?
A moist Lemon, Honey and Ginger Loaf that is grain-free, gluten-free, LCHF not to mention primally inspired!
While I could do a long blah, blah post on the health benefits you get eating Lemons, that raw Honey, while still sugary does have some health merits compared to other sweeteners. I could also write up an entire post of how great Ginger is. But it’s Saturday here and the sun has just come out, I’m not spending another minute inside so no messing about, let’s just hop straight on in there and get to the recipe.
Lemon, Honey & Ginger Loaf
4 eggs, free range – separated
1/3 cup (125g) melted butter or coconut oil
1/3 cup yogurt, full fat, plain flavor
1/3 cup lemon juice – approx. 4 organic lemons
1/4 cup raw honey
2/3 cup almond flour
1/3 cup coconut flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons baking powder – gluten free
1/4 teaspoon salt
zest of 3 organic lemons
1 tsp raw honey – just melted
1 tbsp lemon juice
zest of 1 organic lemon
To make the glaze gently melt the honey and mix with the lemon juice and zest.
- Preheat oven to 160C/320F and grease the sides and bottom of an 11×21 cm 4×9 in loaf pan and line with cooking/parchment paper.
- Separate the eggs.
- Melt the butter and cool
- Using a food processor combine all of the wet ingredients eggs, butter, yoghurt, lemon juice and honey together until thoroughly mixed.
- Pulse through the lemon zest.
- Mix the dry ingredients, almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder ginger and salt together in a bowl and get rid of any clumps.
- Add the wet with the dry to combine.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Gently fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the mix until combined then repeat with the next 1/3 then add the final third.
- Spoon the mix into the loaf pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, it is ready for the glaze when a toothpick inserted into the mix comes out clean.
- Gently poke holes in the top of the cake and drizzle over the lemon honey glaze.
- Bake for a further 5 minutes.
- Cool for about 10 minutes then carefully remove from pan and then cool for a further 20 minutes on a wire rack. As the loaf is very moist take care slicing.