banana, bread, coconut, dairy-free, gluten free, Grain Free, lunch box, paleo banana cake, paleo plum cake, plum, Primal
Where I live we are so fortunate to have both a large grapefruit and a plum tree in our yard. Although this is fairly typical for the area I live in; old suburban gardens and crumbling dry stone walls. Both trees are pretty ancient, however, I do think the plum tree the older of the two. With gnarly branches, it’s a bit rotten in places and the other week a large branch broke off! Although that may have been because it was so overloaded with plums, rather than age, the old branch couldn’t hold up the weight. Luckily no one was near.
So at this time of the year, it’s a race between me and the birds who feast on the plums as they ripen. I gather up as many as I can and depending on the level of enthusam freeze, bake or preserve them.
This year, although there is a huge number, they are very small but super sweet. So they were asking to be baked into a loaf.
This loaf was made as a last goodbye dessert for children about to depart from here back to their own homes. The next time I see two of them won’t be until June. Exciting time though as it will be at a wedding, just outside of San Francisco, with celebration event days either side.
We will be contributing food wise to these three days as I have been told, to bring my baking skills to add to the primally inspired/paleo dessert tables. The bride and groom-to-be announced that there will be gluten free, gluten full and glutenous offerings. So tasty somethings for everyone and you will hear more on that in the months to come as I experiment!
But for now, let’s just give you this recipe and get you baking!
Banana & Plum Loaf
1/2c Almond meal or flour
1/2c Coconut flour
1/3c Coconut (desiccated or long thread depending on how coconuty you are!)
1/4c coconut sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
4 eggs (free range)
1/2c /125g melted butter – or use melted coconut oil to make this Dairy-Free!
1/2 cup sliced plums – skin on
2 small/medium ripe bananas – peeled and mashed
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180c/350f
- Line with cooking/parchment paper a small loaf tin 10.5 x21.5mm (4 x 8.5in).
- Melt butter or coconut oil if using and set aside to cool
- Sift dry mix ingredients and mix to combine and to smooth any remaining lumps.
- Whisk the eggs and vanilla to combine well.
- Stir in the cooled melted butter or coconut oil, sliced plums and mashed banana.
- Stir wet mix into the dry mix and combine well.
- Tip the batter into the loaf pan and smooth the top.
- Place in the oven for around 35 mins – though check after 25mins using a skewer which should come out clean if the loaf is cooked.
- Remove from oven, cool slightly in the pan for 10 minutes then lift out and place on a wire rack to cool. Or you can carefully slice it now for a warm dessert.
- Once cool on a board and using a serrated bread knife gently slice.
Serve warm with whipped cream, whipped coconut cream or cold, top with mascarpone cream. Or just eat it plain!
Pingback: Paleo Breadmaker Almond, Chia Seed & Walnut Flour Bread – Grainfree & Glutenfree | Paleo with cream
Pingback: Paleo Bread-Maker Bread. | Paleo with cream