If you love coconut and chocolate then these easy to make, yummy treats are for you. They taste a bit like Bounty Bars, but they are way more healthier because there is no processed sugar. The sweetness comes from dates. But what about the chocolate you say? Yes, it does use chocolate, but you know that’s good for you! Use the best you can find and enjoy every bite. My favourite is Green & Black’s Organic Dark 85%.
Special thanks goes to Shine on Raw, her recipe does not use chocolate so if you would like to try a different mix to coat these treats then head over there.
Coconut Chocolate Squares
12 medjool dates, quartered, pits removed
1/2 cup water
3 cups desiccated coconut
50 g ground cashew or macadamia nuts
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1 tsp pure vanilla essence
pinch of salt
200g Dark Chocolate, 85% (or 70% if you prefer)
- Soak prepared dates in water for at least 20 minutes to soften.
- Process dates and water, oil and vanilla essence until they become a smooth paste
- Add coconut and cashews previously mixed
- Continue to process until well combined – you may need to scrape the sides down a couple of times.
- Remove from processor and shape into a large square, place this onto a tray then cut into smaller squares.
- Or if you prefer round truffle shapes instead then roll the mixture into balls.
- Place in the fridge for at least two hours, then place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Break chocolate into a bowl and microwave on medium high a minute at a time, stirring each time.
- Once melted dip each cold coconut square into the chocolate using two forks.
- Place onto cooking/parchment paper to set.
- Store in the fridge.
These can be really morish because they are so tasty, so remember that they are treats and save them for very special occasions or to share with very special people.