In the old grain eating days I could make a mean cheese scone, just ask all my family. Light fluffy and oh so cheesy, I used to have them with jam and whipped cream – heavenly bliss.
Well sacrifices have had to be made nowadays, so you can see why I have been searching for so long to find a tasty savoury muffin or scone recipe that isn’t made from wheat. It has been a long search and I have tried out many, many recipes. And believe me I have been disappointed many times, I might add!
So I was making up my favourite sweet Orange and Cranberry Muffins, thanks to Cook at Paleo, when I had a brainwave. Have a twiddle with that recipe to make it more savoury and see how it works out.
Well I did and it did! So here you go!
Bacon, Cheese & Onion Muffins
1 1/2 cups Almond Meal
1/2 cup Tapioca Flour
½ tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1 tbsp olive or coconut oil.
3 rashers bacon, chopped to small bite sized pieces.
1 small onion, diced finely.
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, plus 4 tbsps to sprinkle on top.
3 eggs, whisked
2 tbsps melted butter
• Preheat oven to 170c/325F.
• Line a medium sized muffin tray with paper muffin cases.
• Mix together all dry ingredients.
• In a small frying pan melt the oil and on a lowish heat fry the onions until transparent but not brown. Remove from the pan.
• Turn the heat up a little and fry the bacon until crispy. Cool slightly.
• Melt the butter either on the stovetop or microwave and add to the onions and bacon.
• Whisk eggs and stir in the cooled melted butter, onions, bacon and lastly cheese.
• Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix through.
• Spoon into muffin cases – fill to just under the top.
• Sprinkle extra cheese on top.
• Bake for 20 minutes, test for doneness by inserting a fork into one of the muffins, if it comes out clean, they’re ready.
• Remove from oven and place on a wire tray to cool a little.
• Serve with a slab of butter or a spoonful of sour cream.